Sunday, December 19, 2010

Sunday Morning

Woke up at 4:00 a.m. wanting my coffee and laptop of course. Thinking about what to do after Church today, I would love to do a little shopping out of town but my hubby has to work all night this week, so I would say that is a No. Short week for everyone this week, that is something to look forward too.

My little man wrapped a few presents to put under my tree yesterday for his Dad, Mom, Grandpa and I. He is so proud of them. Children make Christmas so enjoyable, the corners are still open not tucked in, he was so excited to be giving something to us. That is great when you enjoy giving. Hopefully when you young and start out with that joy you will not be the kind of person that is only happy when you get for yourself.

It is that time of year for custard and Richie loves it. One of his sister's made it for him last year and I got the recipe off Internet to make him some more but it wasn't like hers, close but not as good. His other sister gave him our Christmas Card and had his Mom's custard recipe in her handwriting and I got my grandmother's recipe book out, the writing was almost the same. We just smiled, we really miss family this time of year. You make new memories but you never forget the old ones.

Richie tells me the stories of the home place where he lived before we were married, now his son lives there and how many people would be there at one time. It was seven kids as a child, so all their families and grand children after growing up would be there. How his mom and sister's would cook for days getting ready ,baking cakes and pies. I would love to make a fresh apple cake the way my grandmother did. I am in the times of add eggs and oil to the box mix on the shelf. My grandmother would use the swan flour and put the nuts in a bag with flour to keep them from sinking to the bottom. I told a friend that the other day and she had never heard of it either but that is old fashion cooking.

Well guess I will sleep for a hour or so and get ready for Church. Hope everyone enjoys the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment